Documents and Visa Information

Step 1: Gather all your documents.

Please ensure that each step is done correctly and far enough in advance, so that there is nothing to prevent your contract from beginning on time.

1. University Diploma (Notarized and Apostilled) - American Citizens

  • Your degree must be a Bachelor’s (3 or 4 years) or Master’s from an accredited university.
  • As of August 31, 2010, Korean Immigration no longer accepts original diplomas. Only notarized and apostilled copies will be accepted by immigration.
  • Make one (1) photocopy of your university diploma and have the copy notarized by a notary public. Then, send or take the notarized copy to your Secretary of State Authentications Office to get an apostille.
  • NOTE: This apostille is NOT issued by the federal State Department; it is issued by your state government. The diploma must be apostilled in the state where it was notarized.

2. FBI Criminal Background Check (CBC) - American Citizens

  • Get started on this document as soon as you can. Processing times for the FBI criminal background check can be up to three months.
  • Please note that as of December 31, 2010, all American teachers must submit an FBI criminal record check. State and local checks are no longer accepted.
  • When sending off for your FBI criminal background check, be sure to include a request that the CBC be issued for use overseas. The FBI will place their seal and signature on the document, which allows it to be apostilled by the U.S. Department of State. The FBI includes this authentication seal only upon request at the time of ordering the CBC.
  • These FBI criminal record checks are valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
  • Have your criminal background check mailed to you.
  • When you receive your CBC from the FBI, you will need to send it to the U.S. Department of State to be apostilled.
  • NOTE: This apostille is issued by the federal government. Please do confuse the two different apostilles.

3. University Degree (Notarized with Korean Consular Seal) - Canadian Citizens

  • NOTE: As of August 31st, 2010, Korean Immigration will no longer accept original degrees: only photocopies notarized with Korean consular seal.
  • A. must be a four-year Bachelor’s degree. (at minimum)
  • B. must be from an accredited university.
  • C. To get a notarized copy with consular seal:
  • – Make a photocopy and have it notarized by a notary public.
  • – Send or take the notarized copy to the Korean Embassy or Consulate that has jurisdiction for your area (see the list of Korean Embassies and Consulates below).
  • – One set of transcripts, a copy of your passport, and a money order are required at the consulate/embassy in order to get the copy of your degree Consular Notarized.

4. Criminal Record Check - Canadian Citizens

  • A. Your record check cannot be more than six months old when you apply for your teaching visa.
  • B. Order this from your local police department (this can be a local or a provincial search as all Canadian criminal records are in one database: CPIC).
  • C. RCMP searches are not required and take a long time.
  • D. Have the results sent to you or pick them up yourself.
  • E. This report must then be notarized by a local notary public or lawyer (often police stations will notarize their Criminal Record Checks).
  • F. Once notarized, send it or take it to the Korean Consulate nearest to you for Consular Notarization.
  • In-person drop-off: please check with your Consulate regarding the procedure (contact information below).
  • Mail in: send to Korean Consulates in Canada (ATTN: Notarization Department).
  • – Include a return envelope with postage and your address.
  • – Include the fee for the Consular Notarization — money orders only if you’re not going in person.
  • G. The Korean consulate will only authenticate documents with a local notary seal on it first.

5. Health Statement

  • This is an easy step. Simply fill out the health questionnaire from the Korean government.
  • This questionnaire asks about serious medical conditions like HIV or TB.
  • Shortly after you arrive in Korea, a full physical examination and blood test will be administered at a local hospital (within 90 days of arrival).

6. Valid Passport & Photocopy of Passport Information Pages

  • All applicants must have a valid passport with a minimum of six months remaining before expiration.
  • Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages for the consulate to place your visa. Failure to have these blank pages will result in the consulate refusing to process your visa.
  • Your passport must be signed.
  • Photocopy the information pages of your passport.

7. Resume

  • Prepare one (1) copy of your resume, signed, with your current address and contact information.

8. Passport-sized Photos

  • You need four (4) copies of a standard ID photo, 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm, in color with a white background.

9. Signed Contract

  • When you get a copy of the school contract, sign and date it. Then, make a copy for your own records.

Step 2: Send your documents to KPI

Once you have gathered all of the documents listed above, you will need to send them to us in order to begin processing your visa at Korean immigration.

Please mail the following documents:

  • 1 copy of university diploma, notarized and apostilled (State)
  • 1 FBI criminal background check, sealed by FBI and apostilled (Federal)
  • 1 copy of health statement
  • 1 copy of passport information page
  • 1 copy of current resume
  • 4 identification photos
  • 1 signed contract

Mail them to the following address:

Kangnam Pride Institute
Human Resources Dept.
460-1 Hyundai Jade Bldg. 4F
Seongnae-dong, Gangdong-gu
Seoul, Korea 05400

Please do NOT send your documents by regular mail to Korea, as this is quite slow, more likely to get lost, and cannot be tracked. Please use either FedEx or DHL. Once you have sent the documents, please email us the tracking number and the courier company you have used so that we can track your documents.